Monday, February 8, 2010

Sopapillas and Sharing

Growing up in Denver, I had on occasion the opportunity to go to the legendary Casa Bonita. It is not legendary for the food, with one exception the sopapillas. Each table comes with a little red flag, raise the flag and they bring you more sopapillas. They are so yummy! They also had cliff divers and other entertainment which is fun for kids, but now that I am older and wiser, the sopapillas are really the only thing worth remembering. But like other things in life that I love and now because of my “remote” living conditions I am unable to procure, (read Chipotle) sopapillas are one of those things.

I couple of years ago, I found this recipe and tried it. They turned out pretty well. Now whenever I get that craving, I make them at home. Today was one of those days. With nothing else to do, sopapillas were on the list. I made heart shaped ones, in honor of Valentines Day week.
It makes a huge batch and they don’t keep very well. So I ran a plate over to our neighbors. They have lived next door to us since we moved in eight years ago. They have three boys ages 9, 7 and 4. Our kids get along really well and they are great neighbors. They put their house for sale about 6 months ago, and today they got an offer that they are planning to accept. I have known that they would probably end up moving sooner or later and now it looks like sooner. I am sad to see them move. I enjoy talking to Katie and knowing that my kids are safe and having fun playing with their boys. We will miss their family being our neighbors.

No comments: