Monday, December 14, 2009

Here In The South

Today was no exception to the general rule that people here in the South are very nice and helpful.

While picking up lunch today at Panera Bread, with my sick baby in my arms I had three people offer their generosity. The guy working behind the counter offered to carry out my order to the car, another lady by the drinks offered to help me, and a third commented on what beautiful children I have.

Not to mention the super-duper-smooper (sorry got carried away there, Emily always says that) nice people that work in the Chick-fil-a drive thru.

A few days ago, while shopping at Walmart, people offered to let others go ahead, when the line we were in was VERY slow! Shocking, yes, but here in the South, perhaps not.

Then, I headed over to the doctors office. Both of the girls have this terrible barking cough, fevers, and Emily complains about her throat and ears. We have not ever been able to get Danielle to take tylenol, she just pukes it up, so we have trouble bringing down her fever when it gets high.

After an examination, blood draw, and chest x-ray, it was determined that she has pneumonia. They gave her a shot and a prescription for an oral antibiotic. How is that going to work?? Probably not well.

But all of this got me thinking...I had just read Nie Nie's story here, I had been following her blog for quite awhile, but I never really had the all of the background. This is the part that really made me think.

"Gratitude began to grow inside of her. "I can be at my girls' weddings,"
Stephanie thought. When Oliver and Nicholas had their first dates, she could
stay up late and wait for them to come home, quiz them on being gentlemen. There
would be braces and birthdays, school supplies and makeup lessons. She would be
there for all of it. "I get to enjoy my children," she wrote on her blog, "even if my fingers don't work." To think she had asked God to end her life."

I need to have more gratitude each day about the three beautiful children that I have and the priviledge that I get to enjoy them every day.


No comments: